Call for Entries: ECO-STRUCTURES’s Evergreen Awards
ECO-STRUCTURE is once again looking for environmentally responsible projects throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico for its Evergreen Awards. Note that entries are due by May 31, so act fast. Below are award and submission details
Enter your high-performance projects in ECO-STRUCTURE’s annual Evergreen Awards and be recognized for outstanding building performance and design.
Architects, developers, contractors, and other building professionals practicing in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico may submit projects in the competition. Ecommercial and Greenhouse entries must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2007. On the Boards entries must be unbuilt. The Perspective category is for nominating individual practitioners, not built or unbuilt projects.
Projects that have won other awards are eligible. Projects than have won past Evergreen Awards, however, are not eligible for re-entry.
*Ecommercial, New Construction: Environmentally responsible, high-performing commercial, industrial, or institutional projects that are new construction.
*Ecommercial, Existing Buildings: Environmentally responsible, high-performing commercial, industrial, or institutional projects that are additions to or retrofits and renovations of existing structures.
*Greenhouse: Environmentally responsible, high-performing residential projects.
On the Boards: Unbuilt commercial, industrial, institutional, or residential projects that address building performance and sustainable design and construction.
Perspective:This category is for individuals only. Nominate an industry professional who is moving green building forward.
*Entries in these categories are judged on both design excellence and building performance. Please submit as much actual energy- and water-consumption data as possible with each entry. A minimum of 12 months of actual data is strongly encouraged.
DEADLINES AND FEES
Entries are due by 5 p.m. EST on MAY 31, 2011.
Entry fees: $100 for first entry; $75 for all additional entries. A project may only be entered in one category, however a firm may enter more than one project in the competition. Each entry must be registered separately.
Late entries will be accepted from 5 p.m. EST May 31 until 5 p.m. EST June 3, with a late fee of $50 per entry, raising entry prices to $150 for first entries and $125 for any additional entries.
Absolutely no entries will be accepted after 5 p.m. EST on June 3, 2011.
An independent panel of building professionals will select winners based on environmental performance and quality of design. Judging will take place in June 2011. Winners will be notified by Sept. 1, 2011, published in the September/October 2011 issue of ECO-STRUCTURE, featured online at eco-structure.com, and honored at Greenbuild International Conference and Expo in October 2011.
HOW TO ENTER:
Entering the competition is a multi-step process that requires uploading entry components to a secure FTP site.
Register and pay for your submission(s) online at:
http://events.SignUp4.com/2011EvergreenAwards. Checks will not be accepted. Each entry must be registered individually.
Collect the entry components as noted below per category. Combine all elements for each entry in one file folder. Name the file folder with the project name and compress or zip the folder. The final zipped folder must be less than 2 GB in size. This folder should then be uploaded to http://dropbox.yousendit.com/2011EvergreenAwards.
Do not wait until the deadline to upload in case you have trouble with the FTP site.
Both entry payment and entry components must be received by the 5 pm EST deadline on June 1 to avoid receiving a late charge.
Ecommercial, Greenhouse and On the Boards entries ONLY must upload:
1. A completed entry form PDF. Download the entry form here.
2. A maximum of 10 high-resolution, professional-quality digital images of the completed project. For On the Boards entries, renderings and drawings should be submitted in lieu of completed photography. All images should have a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and be at least 5 by 7 inches. In addition, site plans and schematic drawings are encouraged; they should be in an 8- by 10-inch format and should be counted toward the maximum number of 10 images. No more than 10 images and/or plans and drawings will be accepted.
3. A single document containing the following:
A) A general statement (100 words maximum) describing the building type, location, general function, square footage, completion date, and any green building certifications attempted or achieved.
B) A separate bullet-pointed list addressing the following project aspects in this order:
• Key project goals issues. What were the key ecological and design goals and concepts for the project and how does the design address them? (100 words maximum)
• Energy use (including renewable energy). Include energy use projections based on modeling and any actual performance data available, including EUI. (100 words maximum)
• Water use (including reuse strategies). Include water use projections based on models and actual performance data, such as reduction percentages. (100 words maximum)
• Materials. Building envelope from foundation to roof, highlighting why specific materials were chosen and how they contribute to greening the project. (100 words maximum)
• Indoor air quality and daylighting initiatives. (100 words maximum)
• Site selection considerations. (100 words maximum)
• Grants/incentives received. (100 words maximum)
• Post-occupancy performance. Detail any plans in place for monitoring or documenting environmental performance after project completion. (100 words maximum)
• Design innovation. What makes this project innovative? (100 words maximum)
NOTE: While clients may be named, do not name the project architect, developer, or other firms involved in construction and design.
Perspective entrants ONLY must upload:
1. A completed entry form. Download the entry form here.
2. A headshot (at least 300 dpi in resolution and a minimum of 5×7 in size) of the nominee
3. A narrative no longer than 500 words addressing the following:
• How/when the nominee became involved with green building
• Accomplishments within the green-building industry
• Images of projects and/or testimonials
NOTE: Do not attach additional documents
Send any questions to: email@example.com